Bluefin Robotics develops, builds, and operates Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) and related technologies for defense, commercial, and scientific customers worldwide. We offer a full range of modular, free-flooded AUV platforms. Using a core set of building blocks, we have designed over 50 different configurations. This includes over 70 different sensors on over 80 AUVs—far more than any other manufacturer.
In 1997, Bluefin was founded by a core group of engineers from the MIT AUV Laboratory. Today, the Bluefin team brings a unique set of skills and experience to market. We continue to apply hard-won expertise in the application of advanced materials, systems, and technologies to real-life operating conditions. Bluefin is a full AUV lifecycle provider offering research and development, technology integration, full-scale manufacturing, platform training, and operations support. No other provider has our depth and breadth of expertise and resources dedicated exclusively to AUV development and production.
In 2005, Bluefin became a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Battelle Memorial Institute. Battelle is a global science and technology enterprise that develops and commercializes technology and manages laboratories for customers. Battelle oversees a staff of 22,000 scientists, engineers, and support specialists and conducts $6.2 billion in annual research and development. For more on Battelle, please visit www.battelle.org.
Join us on
Bluefin is proud to hold several partnerships or agreements with a variety of renowned organizations. Here are just a few:
- Laboratory for Autonomous Marine Sensing Systems @ Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – Autonomy and multi-vehicle operations
- AUV Laboratory @ MIT SeaGrant - Hovering AUV development
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute (WHOI) – Payload development
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) – Propulsion and Pressure Vessel development
- Sound Metrics Corp. – DIDSON payload for Hovering AUV
- SeeByte - SeeTrack AutoTracker
Bluefin holds corporate memberships with the following organizations:
- Marine Technology Society (MTS)
- Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI)
- The Mine Warfare Assocation (MINWARA)
- National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA)
- Massachusetts Technology Leadership Council (MassTLC)