Bluefin Robotics, now part of General Dynamics Mission Systems, develops, builds and operates Unmanned and Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) and other related technologies for defense, commercial, and scientific customers worldwide. We offer a full range of modular, free-flooded AUV platforms. Using a core set of building blocks, we have designed over 50 different configurations. This includes over 70 different sensors on over 80 AUVs—far more than any other manufacturer.
In 1997, Bluefin was founded by a core group of engineers from the MIT AUV Laboratory. Today, the Bluefin team brings a unique set of skills and experience to market. We continue to apply hard-won expertise in the application of advanced materials, systems, and technologies to real-life operating conditions. Bluefin is a full AUV lifecycle provider offering research and development, technology integration, full-scale manufacturing, platform training, and operations support. No other provider has our depth and breadth of expertise and resources dedicated exclusively to AUV development and production.
General Dynamics Mission Systems
In February 2016, Bluefin Robotics was acquired by General Dynamics Mission Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics. General Dynamics Mission Systems designs, manufactures and delivers mission critical C4ISR systems to customers within the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community and federal civilian agencies, and to international customers. For more information, please visit gdmissionsystems.com.
Join us on
Bluefin is proud to hold several partnerships or agreements with a variety of renowned organizations. Here are just a few:
- Laboratory for Autonomous Marine Sensing Systems @ Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – Autonomy and multi-vehicle operations
- AUV Laboratory @ MIT SeaGrant - Hovering AUV development
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute (WHOI) – Payload development
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) – Propulsion and Pressure Vessel development
- Sound Metrics Corp. – DIDSON payload for Hovering AUV
- SeeByte - SeeTrack AutoTracker
Bluefin holds corporate memberships with the following organizations:
- Marine Technology Society (MTS)
- Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI)
- The Mine Warfare Association (MINWARA)
- National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA)
- Massachusetts Technology Leadership Council (MassTLC)